The Accountant is responsible for collecting payments from third party vendors and delinquent accounts, processing student refunds, assisting with fee exemptions and waivers in accordance to Florida statute, maintaining the billing process for dual enrolled and early admitted students, answering the main phone line, responding to email correspondence, and providing customer service to students and parents that visit the Bursar's Office.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Four years of experience in business, accounting, or related area.
- Experience operating personal computers with proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in Accounting or Business related field.
- Experience with student financial services, third party billings, collections, registration processes, and financial aid disbursements in a higher education environment.
- Experience with the Banner Accounts Receivable module and TouchNet Bill+Payment.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of state and federal regulations as related to higher education.
- General knowledge of offices practices and accounting procedures.
- Knowledge of various military and third party payment programs.
- Knowledge of student financial terminology and enrollment process.
- Excellent organizations skills with the ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills to both internal and external customers.
- Ability to effectively work with minimal supervision and meet deadlines.
- Ability to use a personal computer and knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) software.
- Ability to work in a diverse university environment and interact effectively with a broad range of internal and external constituents.
- Ability to perform all duties and maintain standards in accordance with university policies, procedures, and core values.
Essential Job Duties:
- Manages all tuition & fee third party billings for the university including the Florida Prepaid Program, Armed Forces, and Vocational Rehab.
- Works with the Accounts Receivable Supervisor to post Florida Statute fee exemptions and fee waivers.
- Manages the billing process for dual enrolled/early admit students.
- Answers questions and responds to email correspondence.
- Provides customer service to students and parents that visit the Bursar’s Office.
- Maintains professional contacts with outside agencies and university personnel.
- Manages the Student Refund process for all students.
- Manages the outside collection process for the university including identifying the accounts, sending out pre-collection notices, being the point of contact for students/parents, uploading the file to the outside Collection Agency, serving as the point of contact for the Agency, and tracking and maintaining accurate records for all accounts at all times.
- Responsible for the Bursar portion at all transfer orientations.
- Receives cash, checks, and/or credit card payment. Must be PCI Compliant.
- Serves as back-up for the parent and student presentations for freshman orientations.