The Online Associate Faculty position is a part-time, temporary, adjunct employment opportunity. The Online Associate Faculty member performs duties relating to online instruction including, but not limited to: posting instructional guidance and setting performance expectations, participating in classroom discussion board dialogue, grading assignments, providing feedback to support student learning, and promptly responding to student inquiries. Other duties may be assigned according to the individual’s experience and qualifications. This is an online adjunct teaching position, and constitutes at-will employment.
Online Associate Faculty positions are available in the Forbes School of Business and Technology in these topic areas associated with the PhD in Organizational Development and Leadership:
- Organizational Development and Leadership
- Organizational Diversity
- Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Training and e-Learning
Essential Job Duties:
- Emphasize a student-centered learning environment through active engagement, interactive teaching, constructive feedback, and strong support for student achievement.
- Adhere to all faculty requirements as outlined in the Ashford University Online Faculty Course Requirements, which may be updated from time to time at the sole discretion of the university. Responsibilities include:
- Teaching to the designated online course content and syllabus
- Organizing and preparing course materials for facilitation
- Providing timely and relevant feedback to students
- Being accessible for direct student outreach
- Responding to student inquiries by email and telephone in a timely manner
- Using rubrics for grading where applicable
- Demonstrating consistency and fairness in grading of assignments
- Maintaining gradebook and completing grading by established deadlines
- Exhibit appropriate classroom management and instructional practices, including:
- Establishing Relationships: Creatively uses available tools and strategies to enhance relationships, creating a community of learners willing to take risks and actively engage with one another
- Stimulating Critical Thinking: Consistently fosters critical thinking through challenging students to elaborate on their thoughts, question their assumptions, examine biases, communicate in a clear and concise manner, and defend their positions throughout the course
- Providing Instructive Feedback to Students: Provides instructive feedback that challenges and inspires students while providing specific suggestions to improve the quality of their work and thinking
- Setting High Expectations: Effectively demonstrates high expectations throughout the course, while holding students accountable for insightful exchanges and high quality performance on assignments, and promoting active engagement in their own learning
- Demonstrating Instructor Expertise: Effectively and consistently utilizes expertise in subject matter by providing personal experiences, connecting course knowledge to real-world examples. Enhances course content and resources to encourage student comprehension and application of course learning outcomes
- Participate in one professional development activity per course taught. Examples are synchronous and asynchronous faculty development opportunities, departmental meetings, webinars, and other such activities as stipulated by the University.
- Collaborate within the University community to ensure a positive overall experience for all students, including collaboration the following: the Office of Access and Wellness to holistically support student success in the classroom by implementing university-approved accommodations, the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning to foster professional growth as it relates to successful teaching for the Ashford student population, and the Student Records department to maintain timely and accurate student records.
- Residence and eligibility to work in the United States
- Doctoral degree in a field appropriate to the position(s) being sought
- Work-related experience that complements the candidate’s Doctoral degree and the position(s) being sought
- Proficiency in common Internet tools, as well as Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience teaching in an online environment
- University teaching experience, preferably at the doctoral level
- At least three years of experience teaching in the degree field and related to the position(s) being sought
- Experience teaching non-traditional, adult students
- Demonstrated commitment to excellence in classroom management and instructional practices
- Experience serving on Dissertation or other doctoral research committees as Chair or Committee Member
- Demonstrated experience using APA 6th and, preferably, 7th edition style guidelines
- A doctoral degree is required for all doctoral teaching positions
- All education associated with the degree requirement for this position must have been conferred by a regionally accredited or approved nationally accredited institution
- All candidates must provide proof of degree qualifications (official transcripts) upon request
Where heritage meets innovation – that’s Ashford University. At Ashford, students discover relevant degree programs, innovative technology, and cherished tradition. Ashford offers associate, bachelor’s, and master’s online degree programs. For more information, please visit www.ashford.edu, www.facebook.com/ashforduniversity or www.twitter.com/AshfordU.
Equity – We have inclusion and mutual respect. We learn from one another and commit to the advancement of an inclusive culture in which every individual is treated with dignity and fairness.
Empowerment – We are inspiring and enabling. We give individuals the tools they need to achieve their goals.
Quality – We are unsurpassed and have a high caliber. We are consistently striving for the highest quality.
Ingenuity – We are inventive and proactive. We thrive on positive disruption and strive to continuously improve.
Guidance – We are encouraging and supportive. We provide a nurturing environment for faculty, staff and students to learn and grow.