JOB TITLE Dean of the Foisie Business School
DEPARTMENT NAME Provost Office
DIVISION NAME Worcester Polytechnic Institute - WPI
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
The next Dean of the Foisie Business School will collectively craft and execute a distinctive strategy for the business school which is located in a premier technological university that integrates science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) to solve complex human problems.
Essential functions and key objectives of a successful candidate include but are not limited to:
- strengthening relationships that support academics and research with both the business and university communities,
- elevating the quality of existing programs and expanding online program offerings,
- exploring new opportunities that build on WPI’s unique strengths including project-based learning,
- fundraising to enhance teaching and research within the school,
- making the school more inclusive and representative,
- fostering a collaborative environment with a commitment to excellence in research and teaching, and
- maintaining AACSB accreditation.
The candidate should have academic and/or professional accomplishments sufficient to be appointed as a tenured full Professor or Professor of Practice in the Business School.
Applications should consist of a cover letter, a curriculum vitae, and a list of five professional references with contact information. No references will be contacted without the explicit permission of the candidate.
Please contact Steve Taylor (email@example.com) with any questions.
WPI is committed to recruiting, retaining, and working with diverse student and campus community populations; thus, applicants should describe in their materials how their scholarship, teaching, service, and/or leadership style contribute to diverse, equitable, and inclusive learning and working environments.
About the Robert A. Foisie School of Business
The mission : INSPIRE
I nspiring leaders at the
N exus of
S cience, Engineering, and Business with
P roject-based, purpose-driven learning and
I nnovative research to achieve impactful
R esults and to pursue
E xcellence that drives progress.
The vision : The leading business school focused on research and education at the intersections of STEM, business, and human behavior to solve global problems.
Identity : Worcester Polytechnic Institute was founded in 1865 to create and convey the latest science and engineering knowledge in ways that are most beneficial to society . In 1949, in recognition of the important role that businesses played in that process, WPI created the School of Industrial Management, which became the Department of Management and is known today as the Foisie Business School (FBS).
WPI’s Foisie Business School (FBS): Accelerating the Impact of STEM Professionals
The FBS creates and uses business knowledge and skills to enable STEM ( Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) professionals to solve complex, global human problems for the benefit of society.
The FBS Strategic Intents are to:
Be a premier STEM business school that attracts students, faculty, and community members interested in advancing research and education at the nexus of business and STEM.
Accelerate the impact of the WPI community by using business knowledge to enable STEM advances for societal benefits.
FBS strives to bring together knowledge about STEM, people, and business in ways that accelerate and elevate benefits to society. While we have expertise in each of these areas, we believe that the greatest opportunities at WPI and in society lay at the intersections of these areas.
How FBS Accelerates the Impact of STEM Professionals
Businesses are the predominant means by which advances in STEM benefit society. Individuals must work together in organizations if STEM advances are to become available and useful to society. Modern STEM-driven businesses are complex and differ from other businesses in the way that technology both enables and constrains management. The FBS helps STEM professionals learn to navigate and lead these complex STEM-driven organizations by:
- Bringing together STEM and business majors around common impact interests
- Promoting hybrid thinking that integrates STEM disciplines with business knowledge, and with the needs of people and society
- Conveying business knowledge to STEM and business majors. This includes:
- recognizing and creating business opportunities from STEM innovation
- understanding and reaching potential customers for STEM advances
- drawing on the financial, human, information, and other resources of organizations
- creating and improving technical processes within organizations
- collaborating with people and other organizations
- Bringing all these aspects of business together with coherent strategy and execution
- Developing STEM professionals into leaders within STEM-driven businesses
- Conducting research to accelerate our understanding of how businesses can best benefit from STEM-driven advances
- Conducting outreach with STEM-driven organizations to promote FBS, WPI, and its students; to partner with on STEM-driven business research; and to enhance the value created by STEM-driven organizations
- Designing curricula and teaching courses in ways that support the development and success of STEM professionals
About Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) has been at the forefront of engineering, technology, and science education for more than 150 years. WPI is dedicated to research, innovation and the application of technological knowledge to meet critical real-world challenges. A recognized pioneer in higher education, WPI provides a distinctive, project-based learning experience that is highly responsive to today’s rapidly changing world.
The nation’s third-oldest technological university, WPI first changed the course of American education by introducing a radical new curriculum in 1865, focused equally on theory and practice. WPI led another dramatic shift in education in the 1970s when it implemented the renowned WPI Plan. This experiential learning approach represented a new type of engineering education, one built around collaborative, team-based global projects. WPI’s ground-breaking methods gave students and faculty greater levels of flexibility and interaction, creating today’s strong focus on innovation, exploration, and real-world competency.
WPI offers more than 50 undergraduate and graduate degree programs in science, engineering, technology, management, the social sciences, and the humanities and arts. The cornerstone of a WPI undergraduate education is a series of projects, executed by teams of students under direct faculty supervision. Many projects are carried out on behalf of real-world partners (companies, government agencies, NGOs) at off campus project centers located across the globe. Whether designing clean water systems in Namibia, studying impacts of earthquakes and climate change in New Zealand, or helping the Consumer Product Safety Commission make playground equipment safer in Washington DC, WPI’s pioneering project-based approach is transformative for students and communities alike.
WPI’s research, led by its renowned faculty, is internationally recognized for breakthroughs and innovations. WPI's research funding has grown threefold in the past decade and has much more potential for growth. WPI trains graduate students with a diversity of approaches, from traditional PhD and master’s degree programs to market-responsive online and professional master’s degree programs.
WPI has also embraced interdisciplinary education through the offering of programs such as Interactive Media and Game Development, Environmental and Sustainability Studies, Learning Sciences and Technologies, Architectural Engineering, Data Science, and Robotics Engineering.
The WPI community is its greatest asset. The campus community is close knit, highly engaged and collaborative. WPI is home to more than 4,600 undergraduate students, 2,000 full- and part-time graduate students, 500 faculty, and 700 staff. The campus is alive with activity. Students participate in over 230 extracurricular activities, such as music, theatre, Greek life, and more than 50 varsity, club, and intramural sports.
United States of America (Exempt)
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.