OPAM, a unit within Research Development & Administration (RDA) supports OHSU’s missions of healing, teaching and discovery by partnering with the research community to effectively navigate the pre-award and post-award administration of sponsored projects. We support the OHSU research community with grant and contract proposal submission, contract negotiation, interpretation and implementation of sponsor terms and conditions and fiscal management of all sponsored projects.
Function/Duties of Position:
Grant and Contract Management:
In conjunction with the principal investigator and departmental staff, manage the development of grant proposals, which may include making recommendations and/or negotiation of necessary changes to proposals.
Using extensive knowledge of applicable University policies, funding agency laws, codes, statutes, regulations, guidelines, and requirements, review and approve grant and contract proposals which may include acceptance of specific terms and conditions at the proposal stage.
Review and approve grant awards ensuring all compliance, budgeting, reporting and other requirements are compatible with University policies and in the best interest of the Principal Investigator. Evaluate and substantiate complex financial representations made for the project.
Analyze and negotiate terms and conditions of grant and contract agreements and awards.
Manage, review and/or negotiate (as applicable) post-award amendments, transactions, agreements, progress reports and extensions.
Substantiate the commitments, approvals, and documentation of subcontractor institutions. Verify necessary internal prior approvals, compliance requirements and documentation of subcontractor institutions.
Customer Service: Communicate with internal and external sponsors on behalf of OHSU, provide subject matter expertise to entire Institution, and resolve issues while meeting standards and compliance.
Maintain expertise including OHSU, RDA and OPAM policies, procedures and systems. Stay current with NIH Grants Policy Statements, federal regulations for research funding, foundation policies and application procedures. Participate in formal and informal training for department personnel. Maintain proficiency with University information systems and sponsor submission systems.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration with major courses in Accounting, Finance, or a related field AND four years of grants and contracts administration experience focusing on
pre-award or transferrable experience, OR
Seven years of grants and contracts administration experience, OR
Certification from the Society of Research Administrators (CRA), AND Five years of experience in grants and contracts administration.
- Ability to use independent professional judgment, strong work ethic and express a positive attitude.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced, sometimes stressful environment often with competing deadlines.
- Ability to understand and interpret complex guidelines quickly and accurately.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships, and maintain a high degree of professionalism in dealing with OHSU faculty, staff and external funding agencies.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Advanced experience using computerized spreadsheets, databases, and word processing applications.
- Ability to exercise diplomacy and ability to handle highly confidential matters in a discreet manner.
- Ability to work in a changing environment, possess strong analytic/assessment skills, possess excellent organizational skills and be able to prioritize multiple responsibilities and deadlines with minimal supervision.
- In-depth understanding of applicable guidance documents such as OMB circulars A-21, A-110, A-133, 2 CFR 200 and the NIH Grants Policy Statement. Working knowledge of Federal, Non-Federal and Industry sponsored projects.
- Advanced knowledge of concepts, policies, processes and regulatory requirements associated with the administration of sponsored projects agreements funded from extramural sources.
- Demonstrated ability to accurately comprehend and interpret medical and scientific terminology, concepts, and methodology.
- Thorough understanding of budgeting principles and procedures.
- Two years of experience in a central, pre-award sponsored projects office
- Advanced knowledge of grant application preparation, review and grant life cycles.
- Working knowledge of federal, state, and university contract negotiation and execution in a research university environment.
- Experience working with non-NIH sponsors, like Department of Defense, HRSA, NASA, American Heart Association, Susan G. Komen and other Foundations that support sponsored research.
- Experience with OHSU specific systems such as Oracle, Discoverer, Cognos, & InfoEd
- Certified Research Administrator (CRA)
Typical Working Conditions:
Professional office/cubicle environment with frequent interruptions. Located off-campus in the Bancroft building. Some travel to locations at West Campus, CHH or the Hill. Work schedule falls within the normal daytime range of 7:30 AM – 6 PM.
Physical Demands & Equipment Usage:
Ability to sit for up to 4 continuous hours in a day. Ability to stand for up to 3 continuous hours in a day. Ability to work on a computer for the majority of the work day. Ability to clearly communicate with individuals via phone, email or in person. Ability to travel to other OHSU locations for meetings.
All are welcome: Oregon Health & Science University values a diverse and culturally competent workforce. We are proud of our commitment to being an equal opportunity, affirmative action organization that does not discriminate against applicants on the basis of any protected class status, including disability status and protected veteran status. Individuals with diverse backgrounds and those who promote diversity and a culture of inclusion are encouraged to apply. To request reasonable accommodation contact the Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Department at 503-494-5148 or email@example.com.