Savannah State University (SSU), established in 1890, is the oldest public historically black college or university in Georgia and the oldest institution of higher learning in the city of Savannah. The university’s students select majors from four colleges — Business Administration, Education, Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, and Sciences and Technology. The campus is by far the most picturesque in the state of Georgia, with moss-laden sweeping oak trees and expansive marsh and historic architecture that creates a resplendent yet tranquil atmosphere. Beneath the beauty and splendor is a vibrant residential campus bursting at the seams with the vim and vigor of quality collegiate life: relevant academic majors, engaging lectures, cutting-edge research, quality student-faculty engagement and a nurturing environment.
Savannah State University has more than thirty academic programs and is ranked number one in the nation in the production of African American Bachelor of Science and Master of Science graduates in the Marine Sciences. Additionally, academic programs are nationally and/or internationally accredited by The Council on Social Work Education (Social Work); the Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission (Civil Engineering Technology and Electronics Engineering Technology); the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business International (Business Administration); the Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communications (Journalism & Mass Communications); the National Association of Schools of Public Affairs and Administration (Public Administration); and the Georgia Professional Standards Commission (Education).
With that as a backdrop, SSU announces the search for a Vice President for Business and Financial Affairs. The university is ready for a new president to take the helm, stabilize the leadership team and lead a prominent HBCU forward. SSU, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is poised to prosper with renewed national attention the role HBCU’s play in higher education in the our country. We welcome prospective candidates to look at our University with fresh eyes and imagine the future.
The Vice President for Business & Financial Affairs is a senior officer of the University responsible for advising the President and leadership team on fiscal matters ensuring that the University is fiscally sound, safe and maintained in a way that promotes Tiger Pride. The VP works with the leadership team to create an atmosphere that encourages student success, and promotes the well-being for all faculty, staff and visitors to the campus.
The Vice President for Business and Finance must effectively articulate a vision for the conduct and outcomes of business operations that is consistent with the University’s mission and strategic initiatives. The VPBF will also provide strategic and innovative leadership in business administration, facilities management, budget and financial operations, human resources, information technology, public safety and auxiliary services with a commitment to innovation.
The VPFBA will direct Fiscal Affairs, Human Resources, Campus Security, Auxiliary Services Facilities, and Information Technology and have the following responsibilities:
- Provide financial oversight and administrative services to the University’s campus consistent with Board of Regents policies
- Provide strategic leadership in all aspects of the University’s financial operations
- Direct and develop financial policies and standards that support the University’s mission and goals
- Create an environment that supports resourcefulness to help the university achieve its goals
- Ensure financial systems meet the highest standards for providing financial information that allows strategic financial analysis and decision making
- Prepare and submit to the President all budgets for the University
- Coordinate the preparation, implementation and monitoring of the annual university budget and provides regular, timely reports to all budget managers
- Exercise fiscal responsibility in management of all allocated resources
- Oversee the receipt of all funds paid to the University and receipts given in the name of the University
- Serves as the university representative on financial, business and facility matters and works directly with the University System of Georgia in these areas
- Ensure strong coordination between Financial Services and Financial Aid
- Direct and ensure that all annual financial audits are completed and will manage financial security through financial forecasting and risk management
- Oversee responsible and strategic debt management
- Oversee the University’s financial resources and ensure the economic viability of the university, as well as position the university to dedicate resources to achieve its strategic priorities
- Organize and provide administrative direction for all accounting procedures, financial reports and internal auditing procedures
- Possess the ability and willingness to delegate effectively and hold direct reports accountable
- Sign checks against funds deposited by the University
- Maintain adequate records of all contracts and leases; compile cost analyses
- Supervise the preparation of business and financial reports
- Monitor all accounts, claims, and demands against the University to ensure accuracy
- Promote staff participation in institutional decision making; collaborate and coordinate with all other areas of the University
- Strong decision-maker with transparency in decision-making and management
- Serve as liaison with USG System Office on fiscal matters
- Collaboratively advise the President and the President’s Cabinet on formulation of strategically valuable policies, programs, and procedures supporting the priorities of the university and best practices in business operations and financial management
- Provide oversight for the implementation of the Campus Master Plan and related construction, renovation and infrastructure projects
- Serves on the governing boards of the university affiliated foundations
- Perform other duties as assigned by the President
The Chief Business Officer will exhibit qualities of emotional maturity, genuineness, self-confidence, common sense, judgment, fairness, creativity, discretion, decisiveness, political savvy, diplomacy, tact, resiliency, adaptability, and courage of convictions. Demonstrated behavioral expectations include:
- Unquestioned integrity and trustworthiness
- Fiscally minded
- Commitment to return on investment/value-added activities
- Commitment to the University’s mission and strategic plan, as well as missions and strategic plans for Academic Affairs
- Ability to make good, consistent and fair decisions (based on fact and data)
- Ability to work with cross-functional teams and to foster teamwork
- Advanced degree in Business, Accounting, or Financial Management from an accredited college or university, supplemented by a minimum of five years of experience at the senior management level, preferably in an institution of higher education
- Strong management and interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, with attention to details; timelines, deadlines, and the University-wide context of decisions
- Commitment to customer service and understanding of the effects of fiscal policy on all aspects of the University community
- Strong understanding of accepted standards and practices to ensure that University audits are problem free
- Experience in positive change management
- Excellent communication skills verbal, written and presentation
- Extensive experience with computer applications in financial and management areas
For more information or questions about a job posting, please contact the Department of Human Recourses. For technical support, please call OneUSG Connect Support at (877) 251.2644
Conditions of Employment
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with Savannah State University, as determined by Savannah State University, its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test. Offers are made expressly subject to the applicable federal and state laws, to the statutes, rules and regulations of this institution and to the Bylaws and Policies of the Board of Regents (BOR) of the University System of Georgia (USG), which are available for your inspection upon request.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Savannah Stare University is an equal employment, equal access, and equal educational opportunity and affirmative action institution. It is the policy our institution to recruit, hire, train, promote and educate persons without regard to race, color, national or ethnical origin, age, disability, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran status as required by applicable state and federal laws (including Title VI, Title VII, Title IX, Sections 503, and 504, AREA, ADA, E.O. 11246, and Rev. Proc. 75-50). Savannah State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Institution. For questions or more detailed information regarding this policy please contact the Savannah State University, Office of Human Resources. Individuals requiring disability related accommodations for participation in any event or to obtain print materials in an alternative format, please contact the Office of Human Resources.
Special Applicant Instructions
Please upload three (3) reference letters as one document.
To apply, please visit the Savannah State University Careers website.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $1.00 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
All employees are required to wear a face mask. Social distancing is enforced.
- Senior Management: 3 years (Required)