Depends on Qualifications
2600 South First Street Temple, TX
Salary Grade Ranking
Monday-Thursday: 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM Friday: 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM
Total hours required per week
Bachelor's degree or Associate's degree and two years of related full-time work experience.
Position Summary & Essential Duties
The following duties and responsibilities, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA’s), and physical requirements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. The information listed below is not intended to be construed as a complete listing of all duties and responsibilities, KSA’s, and physical requirements required of this position since changes to the position may occur at any time or additional requirements may be added over the course of time.
This position, under the general supervision of the Director of Accounting Services, performs staff accountant duties such as general ledger maintenance, billing, cash flow oversight, bank account and investment reconciliation, physical inventory, unclaimed property reporting, and other accounting office duties.
Qualifications (Required and Preferred)
MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL AND WORK REQUIREMENTS (MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS):
Bachelor’s degree or Associate’s degree and two years of related full-time work experience. Experience in governmental or fund accounting and use of Ellucian Colleague software system preferred.
CERTIFICATION OR LICENSES:
Job Duties and Responsibilities
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The incumbent will:
- Verify the accuracy of the cashiers’ daily reports and bank deposits. Resolve any discrepancies with the Director of Student Revenue Accounting.
- Prepare documents and schedules for annual audit
- Prepare and enter general journal entries
- Prepare documents and schedule for budget preparation and document
- Reconcile bank and investments account statements
- Reconcile payroll advices
- Reconcile petty cash
- Conduct analysis and assist in the preparation of various state reports
- Perform asset inventory monitoring
- Conduct cash counts and other internal control procedures
- Assist in the application of new standards and guidance from the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB)
- Assist in the preparation of reports and analysis for various private, state and federal grants
- Maintain the returned check information and prepare the monthly report
- Maintain the records on unclaimed property and submit yearly reports to the Texas Comptroller Office
- Maintain voided check record
- Invoice and provide monthly statements to non-student vendors
- Ensure accurate monthly posting of interdepartmental charges
- Order departmental supplies
- Assist in other areas of the accounting office and other administrative services offices as assigned
SOCIAL CONSTRUCTS REQUIRED OF POSITION:
- Display empathy and positive regard for others in written, verbal and non-verbal communications.
- Work with colleagues and students by practicing punctuality, respect for deadlines, collaborative problem solving, and honest communication.
- Be friendly and collegial with co-workers, faculty, students, staff, and visitors to the campus.
- Build trusting relationships by acting with integrity, courtesy, and responsibility, even in the face of stress or demanding workplace conditions.
- Maintain proficiency as needed and approved by attending trainings, reading job-related materials, and meeting with others in area of responsibility.
- Dress appropriately for a workplace with frequent customer service interaction and community outreach.
- Meet all required standards of confidentiality. Keep work areas in a clean and orderly manner.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities & Physical Demands
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Knowledge of fund accounting principles and methods
- Knowledge of current and emerging developments and trends
- Knowledge of contemporary customer service practices
- Knowledge of reconciliation and balancing techniques
- Organizational skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Detail oriented skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community and office environment
- Ability to gather financial data, analyze and interpret accumulated financial data, compile information and prepare reports
Light physical activity is required with occasional lifting of objects up to 15 pounds. Keyboarding and computer use. May require long periods of sitting or standing.
Work is normally performed in an office setting. Duties will require travel in personal or school owned vehicles.
Monday-Thursday: 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM
Friday: 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM
HOURS REQUIRED PER WEEK:
Director of Accounting Services