Part-time Staff: Interlibrary Loan Specialist
General Description of Position: Process interlibrary loan materials; assist the Library Acquisitions Coordinator; coordinate interlibrary loan work of the Serials Specialist and student workers.
- Respond to requests from member libraries by searching the College library databases, shelves and circulation records to fill book and periodical requests from member libraries; update status of book and periodical availability on the computer network.
- Work closely with reference librarians to determine availability of requested items.
- Prepare materials for shipping by labeling, boxing, bagging and wrapping items for shipping.
- Respond to internal requests by searching OCLC network lists to determine source of materials needed.
- Inform patrons of receipt of requested materials and monitor timely return of materials.
- Bill borrowers when applicable and notify libraries when materials are past due.
- Maintain statistical records of interlibrary borrowing and lending activity.
- Maintain files of transactions.
- Establish, revise and implement, as needed, College interlibrary loan policies and procedures.
- Identify and resolve issues related to interlibrary loan procedures.
- Maintain suitable inventory of supplies needed for the interlibrary loan function.
- Assist the Library Acquisitions Coordinator with updating/deleting database records, printing labels, processing and maintaining library materials.
- Assist with general library functions which may include copy-cataloging, book repair, customer service, and assisting at the circulation desk. Fill in for serials specialist as needed.
- Attend meetings, classes, conferences and workshops as necessary.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Education/Training and Experience Required/Preferred
- Associate’s degree and three years work experience in a library or research facility coordinating a detailed service function is required.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the knowledge, skills and abilities is acceptable.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of current library procedures and classification systems; current office practices, procedures, and equipment.
- Skills in following oral and written instructions; providing excellent customer service; coordinating work activities of others; updating and maintaining a database and files.
- Abilities to learn and properly apply departmental policies and procedures; operate standard office equipment and various telecommunication networks; perform routine and detailed tasks in an accurate and efficient manner; work independently; work under occasional time constraints; maintain effective interpersonal working relationships.
Physical Activity Level
- Sedentary - Sit most of the time. Walk and stand occasionally.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- This is a part-time, 29 hours per week, continuing staff position that may require working some evening and weekend hours.
- Compensation for this position is at grade 6A of the staff salary schedule. The hiring range for the position is $15.59 – $16.10/hour with non-insurance benefits. Non-insurance benefits include paid time away (vacation, personal, sick and holiday pay) and prorated tuition.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Apply for this position through the college’s Human Resources website. Please be prepared to do the following:
- Complete all questions in the application*
- Attach a current resume and a cover letter summarizing your interest and qualifications for this position.
Applications will be accepted until position is filled; however, application review will begin June 22, 2021.
- TO AVOID DIFFICULTIES WHEN SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION, BE SURE YOUR WEB BROWSER (E.G., GOOGLE CHROME, FIREFOX, INTERNET EXPLORER) IS UPDATED TO THE LATEST VERSION. ALLOW YOURSELF SUFFICIENT TIME TO COMPLETE THE APPLICATION SINCE YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SAVE A PARTIALLY COMPLETED APPLICATION AND WORK ON IT LATER.
Lakeland Community College is an equal access and equal opportunity employer. We have a strong commitment to the principle of diversity and, in that spirit, seek a broad spectrum of candidates including women, minorities, people with disabilities and people over 40. Under-represented groups are encouraged to apply. If your disability requires special accommodations to participate in the application/interview process, contact the Human Resources Office at 440-525-7575.