Who We Are:
Renaissance Economic Development Corporation (REDC) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization whose mission is to build-up low-to-moderate income and immigrant communities in New York City by providing low-interest small business loans along with training and counseling services. REDC is an affiliate of Asian Americans for Equality, one of the country’s leading community development nonprofits. As an organization deeply rooted in the communities it serves, REDC works hand-in-hand with local business owners to ensure their long-term success. Renaissance also provides financial literacy services and comprehensive technical assistance to small business owners and entrepreneurs each year through individual counseling and classroom sessions.
We are US Treasury certified Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI), Small Business Administration (SBA) Intermediary Microlender, and SBA Community Advantage (7a) lender. Renaissance’s lending activities are guided by a commitment to increase business opportunities for low-income, minority, women, and immigrant entrepreneurs.
Reporting to the Director of Programs, the Business Counselor (Spanish) is responsible for communicating with loan clients, providing business counseling and technical assistance to clients, providing outreach to local entrepreneurs and represents Renaissance at marketing and outreach events.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Counsel clients on the technical aspects of their businesses
- Share best practices in business counseling and financial analysis
- Make recommendations to the management on whether to originate a loan, and recommend loan amount, interest rate, as well as length of term
- Make site visits to client business locations
- Conduct marketing and outreach activities to promote REDC services and attract more clients
- Conduct workshops and talks to share knowledge and resources for small business owners if needed
- Maintain close customer contact to ensure continued satisfaction and to anticipate additional financing needs
- Maintains the highest level of confidentiality with all client information obtained
- Meets expectations for attendance and punctuality
- Perform other related work and duties as assigned
How we work:
We believe that the people and the communities that we have the privilege to serve, deserve our very best every day. We are a results-driven organization that focuses on empowerment and impact. Renaissance employees are accountable, pragmatic, innovative and collaborative with a core strength of community service and development. We are strategic thinkers who are committed to racial equality and treating each other, and the communities we serve, with respect and dignity. This philosophy expands to the way we manage our work and the way we put our best foot forward. All employees are expected to meet the following requirements and behaviors:
Bachelor's degree or combination of education and experience.
- Bilingual/fluent in English/Spanish
- Formal/informal experience or knowledge in managing a small business.
- Excellent knowledge of local businesses and resources in NYC.
- Strong background in client management and customer service.
- Experience in marketing
- 2+ years’ experience with small business counseling.
- Experience in financial and credit analysis is preferred
- Strong analytical, verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to present information to a diverse customer base- specifically racially, ethnically and socially diverse.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality of sensitive materials and information
- Strong organizational skills with demonstrated attention to detail and focus.
- Ability to quickly gain knowledge of local businesses and resources
- Hands on experience working with small business owners is a plus
- Experience working with low-income individuals in diverse communities
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, perform under pressure and to meet deadlines
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (specifically MS Word and Excel) and Google Documents.
- Support efforts that ensure a safe and healthy work environment.
- Understand and embrace the value in collaborating with people of different cultures, races, genders, ethnicities, beliefs, experiences and ideas.
- An understanding of the concepts of institutional and structural racism and bias and their impact on underserved and underrepresented communities.
- Maintain a positive, helpful attitude.
- Enjoy your time at work!
Renaissance offers rich benefits, recognition, opportunities for professional growth and competitive salaries. The range for this position will be between $48,620 and $50,000. Salary offers will be based on the candidate’s experience in similar roles.