Under limited supervision, this position performs fund accounting control and reconciliation functions including maintaining General Ledgers, Trial Balances, Cost Centers, Programs, Departments, and Grant funding sources. Provides accounting, internal control, recording and reporting processes for two aligned MNState Colleges. Performs and develops procedures and policies for the various phases of accounting services, grant accounting and Cash Management. Maintains the Chart of Accounts and directs the General fund and Clearing fund SWIFT to ISRS reconciliations. Adept at using excel and Power BI tools to produce financial data analyses of Departmental, Operational and Program costs, and enrollment trends. Coach accounting professionals and para-professional and drive process efficiencies. Provide technical accounting and reporting in compliance with generally accepted accounting principles as well as fiscal year-end financial reporting for combined $55 million budgets. Support MNState and College Equity and Inclusion initiatives.
- Four-year Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business, or related field.
- Professional knowledge and understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) sufficient to analyze, interpret, and prepare financial information, records and reports.
- Working knowledge of operating budgets principles sufficient to prepare, analyze, monitor and review activity.
- Working knowledge of federal, state and private grant policies and procedures and the ability to interpret those policies and procedures.
- Analytical and organizational skills.
- Ability to create queries, analyze results, and generate accurate reports.
- Ability to reconcile data and balance accounts.
- Effective planning, time management and prioritization skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent human relations skills in order to maintain effective working relationships with management, faculty and staff.
- Knowledge of audit procedures and internal controls.
- Strong computer skills including spreadsheets, database, and word processing.
- Three (3) or more years’ professional, supervisory, or lead-worker experience in accounting or finance.
- Experience in higher education financial management.
- Working knowledge of Minnesota State information systems, including student and financial aid systems, and state of Minnesota information system (SWIFT).
- Minnesota State policies and procedures
- Ability to formulate and initiate plans and procedures and to direct their application.
- Thorough knowledge of State regulation policies and procedures.
This position requires successful completion of the following:
In accordance with the Minnesota State Colleges & Universities (MnSCU) Vehicle Fleet Safety Program, employees driving on college/university business who use a rental or state vehicle shall be required to conform to MnSCU’s vehicle use criteria and consent to a Motor Vehicle Records check.
Employment information for this position can be found in its collective bargaining agreement or its plan document at http://mn.gov/mmb/employee-relations/labor-relations/Labor/.
Why Work For Us
GREAT BENEFITS PACKAGE! The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short and long term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year.
Our differences make us stronger and leveraging them helps us create a workforce where everyone can thrive. The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to embedding diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility at our workplace. We do this by developing strong leaders and advocates, increasing cultural competence and understanding among all employees, and removing institutional barriers and attitudes that prevent employees from advancing as far as their talents will take them. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), marital status, familial status, receipt of public assistance, membership or activity in a local human rights commission, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, or age.
How to Apply
Select “Apply for Job” at the top of this page. If you have questions about applying for jobs, contact the job information line at 651-259-3637.
For additional information about the application process, go to http://www.mn.gov/careers.
If you have questions about the position, contact Human Resources at email@example.com or 651/423-8411.