Position TitleTutor Non-Certified, Business Calculus and/or Business Statistics (Part Time)
Open Internally or ExternallyExternal
If faculty, tenure track statusNot Applicable
Reports to (title)Associate Dean
DepartmentBusiness Management (School of Business)-2D3
Job CategoryPart-Time Staff - Variable
Initial Work LocationTaylorsville Redwood Campus
Starting Salary$12.00 - $12.98
Job Open Date04/19/2022
Open Until FilledYes
Provide quality tutoring, primarily in Business Calculus and/or Business Statistics to students in the Business Resource Instructional Center (BRIC) on the Taylorsville Campus of Salt Lake Community College and provide virtual tutoring sessions for students who are unable to come to face-to-face meetings.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
- Have set hours in the BRIC (Business Resource & Instructional Center) for face-to-face, drop-in tutoring.
- Take appointments for online/virtual tutoring sessions, for online students or students who are unable to come to campus for tutoring services.
- Be familiar with the assignments taught in Business Calculus and/or Business Statistics.
- Communicate with Business Calculus and/or Business Statistics faculty for clarification on assignments or if particular students continue to struggle with concepts.
- Track each tutoring session on a spreadsheet and provide the spreadsheet every 2 weeks when entering payroll.
Reply to communications from students or supervisor within 24 hours, during days the college is open.
Associate’s or higher degree with two or more courses in Statistics, Calculus, or higher level math, completed with a B or better grade.
High School graduation or equivalent with two or more courses in Statistics, Calculus, or higher level math, completed with a B or better grade.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Provide content competent tutoring to assist students in reaching their stated academic goals.
- Communicate with and relate to a diverse student population.
- Mentor effective student study skills and have a positive attitude.
- Work as a team with other tutors.
- Assist in creating learning environments based on respect, understanding, and trust for those seeking learning support.
- Submit accurate and timely hours for payroll twice each month.
Ability to communicate effectively with a broad range of diverse people, abilities, cultures, ethnic backgrounds, and to maintain good working relationships across the College.
*Ability to work with all groups in a diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic background of community college students, faculty and staff, including those with disabilities.
Applicant must have flexible hours in order to meet the scheduling needs of students.
Salt Lake Community College (SLCC) is fully committed to policies of equal employment and nondiscrimination. The College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, religion, protected veteran status, expression of political or personal beliefs outside of the workplace, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.
SLCC is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”).
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check.